Monday, February 9, 2009

Another Reason to Be Concerned about Science Education

Following is an actual conversation I had with Jade, a 15-yr old Year 11 student, today:
Jade: "Miss, what's my next lesson?"
Me: "You've got science."
Jade: "Miss, I don't want to go to science."
Me: "Why not?"
Jade: "'Cause it's rubbish, miss."
Me: "Science isn't rubbish. Science is everything. Besides, you need your science GCSE, so you've got to go."
Jade: "I'm just going to sleep. I already know the basics of science, miss."
Me: "Really? What are the basics of science?"
Jade: "I know the fire thing and the baby system."
Me (trying not to laugh out loud): "What is a baby system?"
Jade: "You know, the baby thing."
Me: "The reproductive system?"
Jade: "Yeah, reproductive thingy."
Me (laughing now): "All right, you know the reproductive system. What is a fire thing?"
Jade: "Like how to put out fires and things."

No comments: